Self-dealing rules, which prevent foundations from entering into a broad range of dealings with foundation insiders, were developed to ensure foundation assets are only used for charitable purposes. However, these complex rules can be violated without foundation staff members even knowing it.
This primer will:
- Help you know the rules, so you can avoid breaking them.
- Describe who are considered “disqualified persons” and foundation managers.
- Identify the broad range of transactions that are prohibited.
- List the main exceptions to these prohibitions.
- Provide tips and strategies for avoiding self-dealing.
- Provide guidance on reporting and correcting acts of self-dealing.
- Help you develop your self-dealing radar, so you can safeguard your foundation and yourself.
No other topic within the private foundation rules raises as many questions and concerns as self-dealing. This primer will help you develop and strengthen your self-dealing radar so that you and your foundation avoid any violations.
31 pagesPrint version available here.